Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day 2008

I write today with a sense of humility and awe at this great nation that I live in. America has always been progressive, we have always strived for more and we have always had a foundation in our creator. Today we elected Barack Obama as our country's newest president. I am so excited that my children and grandchildren will read about this historic day and know that in a moment of time America was strong again. Barack Obama is truly an example of the American dream.

As I prepared for this election I had to look deep into my soul to see what defines me as an American. Is it that I am a registered Republican or is it that I truly believe that this country is "one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." When I sat down and began to ponder who I would vote for I had to way my moral compass with that of each candidate. That is when I realized both have a piece of the pie.

One of the turning points for me was watching a mini series that HBO put on called "John Adams". When I watched this show I was reminded at how much turmoil there was as we founded this country. I realized the discord and strife that existed between our founding fathers and then it hit me; they each had a piece of the pie. Line upon line, precept upon precept we move forward and we grow. Our country must evolve and grow and we must look beyond party lines.

As I watched tonight I saw a country united, with patriotism resounding, and Americans rejoicing. America came together and when we are united we are powerful. Our God has blessed us with this great nation, he has defined our roles as citizens, and has given us power. I believe that no matter who the president is, we are still a country "under God" and he alone, guides us. We may forget, we may turn away BUT his will and eternal plan will prevail.

I am grateful to live here. I am grateful that here I may worship my God according to the dictates of my own conscience, that the inalienable rights of all humans is fought for, where we believe all men are created equally. I am grateful for fore fathers who were God fearing men and for leaders today that stand ready and willing to serve and devote their lives to the service of their country.

This land is truly blessed. God bless America.

3 comments:

kristenhcubed said...

Hey, you don't know me but I found you as a follower on Dave and Emma's blog (they are friends of mine, too) and I'm curious how you became a follower of a private blog. Can you teach me?

Oh, and that was a well written paragraph, there! God Bless America, indeed.

Riley's said...

Do you mean me following their blog or is there another private blog I am following that you noticed?

kristenhcubed said...

I meant their blog, but I think I figured it out in the meantime. Blogger will not let me add a private blog to my list of followed blogs but when I clicked on the link from their blog it worked. Seems like a weird glitch. Thanks anyway!