Saturday, March 27, 2010

Food Revolution

So I was watching the new show on ABC with one of my favorite chefs, Jamie Oliver. The premise of the show is to change the way America eats, less processed food and more fresh food. It reminded me of a devotional at Ricks given by Elder Perry which I thought was completely wacko. Basically Elder Perry encouraged us to cook like our mothers did, to stop using pre-made food and make things from scratch. I thought at the time, "weird devotional this has absolutely nothing to do with me spiritually." Well in fact I was wrong and he was very inspired, OF COURSE, and again a general authority ahead of the times.

It is no secret that processed food is killing america. I will say for myself that I feed my family pretty well when I prepare food. My kids don't get a lot of crackers for snacks, and I cook very few food items from a box and so on and so on. For example my kids have fruit or veggies with either yogurt or cheese for a snack, my breakfasts are always complete even if it is cold cereal because the cereal is rarely a sugar cereal, not even honey nut cheerios, and we eat a very complete dinner; main course, salad with a lot of veggies, a fruit, and a cooked vegetable.

I sound like a dream home maker right? WRONG.... there is still one major issue I hate to cook! (The problem is I don't cook more then 4-5 times a week for dinner because... I hate too)

I have been inspired by the t.v. show to cook with my children. So the food revolution in our home is to cook with our kids by: Having them help me with the menu, going grocery shopping together, and finally they will begin to prepare most of the food with my help of course. I know it doesn't seem like that big of a deal but I think it is huge.

So we kick off the Riley family Food Revolution today with the menu and shopping and the picnic we will have tonight! Think I can do it???? We don't have any other choice if I want my kids to grow up eating healthy like I did because right now they are learning my lazy habits as opposed to the good ones.

2 comments:

Kory Jane said...

Goes along the same lines as Clean Eating, sticking to the outside of the grocery store and trying to not be packaged things. Canned fruits and vegetables are thank goodness not completely X-ed off. I try to eat healthy and although I do whip up an occasion box of Mac n cheese for the kiddos, for the most part they do eat healthy.

Amber said...

Eliza has started cooking dinner with me and even though it makes a bigger mess and it takes longer, it makes it more fun for me. I think I despised being shut up in the kitchen by myself. Now I have someone to talk to! I hadn't thought of getting my kids involved in the meal planning though. Great idea.