Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Reading

Today I am very excited because I have struggled with learning how to teach Paige how to read. Sometimes I don't quite know the best way to help a 5 year old understand concepts so I usually end up getting frustrated with her and myself and so I usually just quit teaching her concepts until I find something that works or that she is shown to enjoy.

A couple of my friends referred me to the "I See Sam" reading series that schools across Utah use to begin teaching reading. We got the package in the mail today and Paige breezed through the first three books no problem before she was done reading. It was a very positive experience for her and myself because it seems so simplistic BUT she read through three very short books. These little achievements help her build confidence and make it a fun experience. I just know that she is going to begin to really take off with her reading. She is such a smart cookie with an amazing memory.

One of the other fun things I discovered with my kids was washing dishes. I have always had a dishwasher and have never really had the kids help me with it except to load their own dishes. Well our garbage disposal broke so Jay had to replace it. When he replaced it the dishwasher stopped draining so for a few days, I was left to wash dishes by hand. I had Taylor help me one morning last week to give her something to do and she loved it! Both the girls enjoyed doing it so much and it was actually fun. I usually like to pound out the dishes quickly after meals but this was so much more enjoyable. Now the dishwasher is working again but I still find letting the girls help me with the dishes, though it take a bit longer, is so much fun! The cooking thing I am trying to work on as well and I will get better at that!

It's been nice that Jeremy doesn't have any immediate projects right now. For the last week, he has been getting home at a normal hour and man is it nice. The girls are really happy to! This is a big week for us. Paige will be giving a talk in Sacrament meeting! Oooooo she will do so great!

No comments: